Plentiful water intake is key to health, especially when consuming a high-fiber diet. Water helps fiber do its job of efficiently moving waste through the body, and every system of the body depends on water to function.
When following The Alkaline Way program, we recommend:
- Drinking mineral rich water in quantities sufficient that you urinate every few hours while awake.
- Consuming at least one 8-ounce glass of purified water 8 times daily.
- Adding a glass of water for every 5-8 ounces of caffeinated beverages.
- Taking a rest from drinking water 20-30 minutes before and after meals to assist the body’s digestive process.
- If you must drink at these times, make it small amounts of room temperature or hot water (or healthy tea)—cold water can really slow down digestion.
- Fresh lemon juice, lime juice, and/or ginger act as digestive aids and alkaline enhancers while enhancing the taste of water.
- A simple way to encourage hydration is to set a carafe of water (or herbal beverage) in front of you with a cup. If the cup is full, drink. If the cup is empty, fill it. Repeat.